Chicago Identity Theft Lawyer
Identity theft occurs when a person uses someone else's personal identifying information – such as a Social Security number – to fraudulently obtain goods, money, credit, services or other property. It also can include purchasing, selling or possessing stolen information with the intent to commit identity theft, or for portraying oneself as another person. There are also several more legal specifics surrounding identity theft, and a Chicago criminal defense lawyer at our firm can ably assist you if you are under investigation for or have been charged with this serious offense. As former prosecutors who have handled literally thousands of criminal cases, we stand ready to aggressively defend your rights and liberty.
Penalties for Identity Theft
Because of the great harm that identity theft can have upon innocent people and consumers, police are stepping up their efforts to prosecute this crime. The potential punishments if convicted of identity theft in Illinois include:
- Property not exceeding $300 in value: Class 4 felony with 1-3 years in prison
- Property ranging from $300-$2,000 in value: Class 3 felony with 2-5 years in prison
- Property ranging from $2,000-$10,000 in value: Class 2 felony with 3-7 years in prison
- Property ranging from $10,000-$100,000 in value: Class 1 felony with 4-15 years in prison
- Property exceeding $100,000 in value: Class X felony with 6-30 years in prison and no possible probation
Even a conviction on the lowest level of identity theft can have serious consequences.
Identity Theft Defense Attorney in Chicago, Illinois
With the advent of the internet and its marvelous capabilities, law enforcement officers have seen an increase in identity theft crimes. If you are being accused of such a crime, the team at the Law Offices of Howard J. Wise & Associates can provide aggressive, caring and experienced legal counsel. You can put your trust in our lawyers to work tenaciously to protect your legal rights and best interests.
Contact a Chicago identity theft attorney at our firm as soon as possible if you are facing criminal charges related to identity theft.