Chicago DUI Attorney
Monitoring Device Driving Permit (MDDP)
A first-time DUI offender in Chicago may be eligible to seek relief during his or her Statutory Summary Suspension (SSS) starting on the first day that your license suspension went into effect. With a Monitoring Device Driving Permit (MDDP), you will be able to drive during your suspension as long as your car is properly equipped with a Breath Alcohol Ignition Interlock Device (BAIID). This breath test device is installed in a vehicle and will not allow the car to start unless the driver submits a breath sample that is free from alcohol. The device may require additional samples at later times while the vehicle is in motion.
Losing your license is a serious matter, but with a MDDP you can experience much-needed relief. With our experience in handling DUI charges and the various issues related to driver's license suspension and revocation, a Chicago MDDP attorney at the Law Offices of Howard J. Wise & Associates is here to help you. A Chicago DUI attorney can help you apply for a MDDP and can help you understand more about this important topic. We can also help you fight your drunk driving charges early on in order to potentially avoid a conviction and license suspension in the first place.
Qualifying for a MDDP in Chicago
There are particular restrictions that may apply to MDDPs, and it is important for any Chicago driver to understand these. For example:
- You will not qualify if your driver's license was invalid at the time of your arrest for DUI;
- A MDDP will not allow a commercial driver's license holder to operate a commercial vehicle;
- Drivers under the age of 18 are ineligible for MDDPs
- A previously failed or refused breath or blood test in the last 5 years will make you ineligible;
- You must drive a vehicle with a BAIID at all times; and
- If you are found driving a vehicle without a BAIID, you will face Class 4 felony charges.
Contact a Chicago DUI lawyer at our offices today to learn more about qualifying for a Monitoring Device Driving Permit